Sunday, April 20, 2014

Step Up & Stand Out



On Thursday, I had the pleasure of being selected by my manager and the bank CEO to attend the Utah Bankers Association's Women In Banking Conference, along with about 20 other women from our bank.  I really didn't know what to expect.  I thought, being a banking conference, that it would be about banking.  And I was so wrong.  It was actually quite the lift that I needed.  So I thought, being a self-motivator and hoping to motivate others, that I would share some of the things that stood out to me from this. I also don't want to lose the thoughts and feelings that came from this day. It was great- and I came away empowered


Dr. Susan Madsen- UWEI 

The first speaker was Dr. Susan Madsen. She has a Phd and she is well published. Her primary focus right now, is in regards to the vast gap in Utah between men and women graduates. And not just the gap in who attends college or graduate programs, but who actually graduates from these programs. 
The gap is so large that the state has asked Dr. Madsen to help with the initiative.  Utah Women's Education Initiative. I've linked the website so you can see the great things they are doing, as well as the research on this if you are interested.  

The state of Utah actually has the biggest gap in male versus female graduates in the United States. And this isn't just about women anymore... we're even seeing a big drop in men graduates now. There is currently a 6% graduation gap between men and women in Utah... Now before you go thinking that 6% is not that big of a gap, the next largest gap is New Jersey at 2.7%.  And at what point would you consider it a big enough gap that we should finally address it? 10%? 15%?
Six percent against the number of entries into college programs equals out to be thousands of female students not obtaining their degree.  And the fact that Utah has the highest number of female college dropouts is concerning to me. Even disturbing! Many females questioned sited reasoning as an "all or nothing" mentality. Meaning that they can't go part time, on-line, or night classes once they've started their families. They feel pressured (real or perceived) to drop everything and maintain the family lifestyle rather than seeking to obtain their degrees.

Being a full time worker, full time mom, AND full time student, I can tell you, there IS time! It just needs to be a priority. And to many, it just is not.  They maintain an "I'll do it someday" thought process, but then it never happens.  These women are also stating that there are other factors involved that helped them to prioritize. So Dr. Madsen asked graduates as well as those who did not graduate the same questions to have a controlled process. But she found that women (and men) who had at least one person encouraging them to graduate were more likely to do so.  Many women who sought post-secondary schooling but did not graduate stated that they were encouraged to go to college, but graduating was never part of that discussion. So they thought it was OK to go to school until they were married, and then stop.  One woman that they interviewed stated that she was elated to be engaged after just one semester of college, because that meant she didn't have to take finals. (What!?!?!?)
Dr. Madsen also stated that when children are encouraged to save their OWN money for college, they were more likely to go and graduate from college.  
What I took away from this presentation was that not only do we need to be encouraging of those around us to seek a college education, but they should have the goal of graduation. One person encouraging a young person is all it may take! I also took away that by having a college degree, a woman is more likely to be a better mother, wife, and be more involved with the community. Children of those who graduate tend to be life long learners as well, and tend to be early readers. 
Many equate college education to economic improvement- if I graduate, I'll get a good job. And for those women who aspire to be a stay-at-home-mom, this will not resonate well with them. But if we can teach them that you will be a better mother and wife with a college degree, then perhaps this will encourage them.  Also, students who visited college campuses were more likely to graduate as well.... so point taken-- Take your kids to visit college campuses! Even at a young age. If you are going on vacation, go and visit the local university.
I can't help but think about growing up in the LDS church and sitting through Young Women Sunday School classes, and we learned about cooking, and being spiritually prepared for motherhood and wifehood, the Personal Progress guidelines were all about service and family-dom, but not about seeking outside employment or education. Sure, I knew that the prophet spoke about getting an education, but it was not a high priority to many who felt that it was not necessary to being a mom- and  it wasn't taught like this on the local level.  And personally, I think that needs to change. I even had an LDS friend who chose a degree program that seemed interesting to her, and once she graduated and still wasn't married- she had no idea what she would do for a living with the degree she chose! How different it could have been for her had she been taught slightly different. There is such a different mentality. 
Also, in my work in HR, we have noted that there is a high difference in women who seek economics, accounting, or finance degrees, and we are trying to change that by talking to high school classes and 1 & 2 year college students about the different career opportunities they can hope for with these types of degrees. 

There is so much more that can be done on this front.  I had to do a paper on diversity for my master's program, and I found this out months ago.  Since then, I have tried to be an advocate at work to those around me to seek a degree.  

Like I said, some times it only takes that one small voice of encouragement that can make all the difference. 

There are a few other things that I hope to write about in regards to things that were brought up at this conference, but this post has grown a mind of its own. It'll have to come later.  

Tell me what you think... I'd love to hear your take on this growing concern. 

Bachelor's Graduation May 2012 and Master's Grad in 8 weeks!!!! :) 





1 comment:

  1. I think this is a real concern. I never thought about not getting my degree, but I know people do that. I haven't really used my degree too much, but i'm still really glad I have it! A lot of girls just go to collage to meet a husband and they forget that they could actually be using that time to improve themselves as well. It's kind of sad. It's good to know that one person giving someone encouragement to graduate can make that big of a difference!

    ReplyDelete